The Garden Club of America’s Anne S. Chatham Fellowship in Medicinal Botany provides at least one grant award of $4,500 annually to support research related to medicinal plants. An important aspect of the award is that it is intended to enable a student to pursue an avenue of research that might otherwise prove closed. Accordingly, the funds may be used to cover direct costs associated with travel, field studies, or laboratory research. However, fellowship funds may not cover indirect costs, overhead, or student stipends and should not be used to pay for lab space or supplies normally provided by universities.
Eligible candidates include students in any field of specialty who are currently enrolled in PhD programs at recognized universities and recent graduates who have received their degrees in the last five years. The fellowship is administered by the Missouri Botanical Garden. Fellowship recipients will be selected by a panel of botanists with expertise in economic botany or ethnobotany, subject to approval by the Garden Club of America Scholarship Committee.
Please submit the following:
- a brief application letter
- an abstract of 200 words or less
- a one- to two-page research proposal, set in 12 pt type, giving the project’s background and purpose and describing activities to be conducted (proposals will be treated as confidential; proposals longer than two pages will be considered ineligible)
- a one-page budget that explains how funds would be used
- a current curriculum vitae
- for graduate students, a letter from a major advisor certifying enrollment in a PhD program
- copies of permits for field work or studies including animals, research clearances, and permission from governmental agencies for foreign research (if permits are being applied for but have not yet been obtained, please ensure that the proposal explains the situation)
Proposals must be received by January 31.
Mail applications to:
Dr. Wendy Applequist
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
Saint Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA
Additional information may be obtained by contacting Dr. Applequist at the address above or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo credits (left to right): (1) Aspalathus linearis L. Rooibos tea by Sandra Bogdanova South Africa 2015 ; (2) Aspalathus linearis L. Rooibos roots by Sandra Bogdanova, South Africa 2015
By Aurélie Jacquet
BI Nutraceuticals, Inc. – Sparks, NV 89434
BI Nutraceuticals, Inc. a leading provider of botanical ingredients to the nutritional supplement industry and the food/beverage industries, is seeking an experienced Botanist. This position is responsible for performing a variety of analyses related to departmental functions; operates lab equipment according to specifications, and accurately reports results of work.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Utilizes advanced knowledge and training in method/process verification.
- Applies skills to develop a series of more complex procedures or experiments or performs technical tasks requiring a significant degree of competence, knowledge, skill and training.
- Utilizes knowledge of a wide variety of processes to work on diversified tasks, including but not limited to technical and administrative aspects of the business.
- Creates, coordinates, and maintains work schedules, projects, instruments, facilities and documentation while exercising independent judgement.
- Prepares simple quotations or proposals.
- Ensures compliance to cGMP, GLP and laboratory safety practices.
- Special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Botany or any field of life sciences
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a laboratory environment. Prior experience in a manufacturing setting preferred.
- Experience in botanical identification preferred.
- Must possess an advanced understanding of laboratory equipment, understand cGMP’s and GLPs; must work in a safe and efficient manner; excellent attention to detail; good verbal and written communication skills
Our company offers a generous compensation and benefit package which includes a competitive salary; medical, dental, and vision insurance; two times your annual salary in company paid life insurance; educational reimbursement; immediate vesting in a 401(k) plan with a dollar for dollar match; and much more including paid vacations, paid holidays and paid sick leave.
For employment consideration, please submit your resume and salary requirements. Apply today!
Job Type: Full-time
- Botany: 5 years
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Quality Control Botany Technician – Vitality Works (Albequerque, NM)
Vitality Works is a fast growing dietary supplement private label and contract manufacturer in Albuquerque, NM, now in our 33rd year. We are diversified and strong in the herbal, nutraceutical, natural products and health professional industries. We are seeking an experienced and motivated QC Botany Technician. Vitality Works is a NSF GMP certified, KOF-K kosher certified, Organic certified and FDA registered manufacturing facility. Vitality Works manufactures a huge variety of products specializing in herbal products.